1UP has a feature comparing the Dreamcast to the Xbox 360. The 23 parallels between Xbox 360 and the Dreamcast are indeed quite eerie. Some are stretches, but most are dead on scary. I am not sure about the American debut on MTV for the Dreamcast, but pretty much every point is spot it. Favorites include:
- Sleek white console following in footsteps of bulky, black console.
- Peter Moore spearheaded the marketing.
- Tetsuya Mizuguchi worked on highly anticipated First Party title.
- Highly anticipated First Party racing game from Bizarre Creations
- Crazy rich bald guy spotted at several promotional events leading up to launch.
- Metal Gear Solid trailer stole much of its next-generation thunder.
Like I said, scary.
1UP also put together 10 reasons why the Xbox 360 will succeed where the Dreamcast failed.
Square-Enix and Electronic Arts support from the start is a boon to the 360. Final Fantasy XI beta will come with all 360's sold in Japan - a territory that needs to latch on to the console if Microsoft expects to make any money this time.
Could you imagine the 360 launch without Madden, Tiger Woods, or NBA Live? Neither can I. The 360 would not survive long without EA.
To be fair we do not know if the 360 will have backwards compatibility. It is planned. This is great in theory. But with less then two weeks until launch there is still no backwards compatibility list. But then there is no official list of launch software either.
Oh and by the way, only 12 days, 4 hours, 22 minutes... until launch.